Competition 7 - Musculoskeletal
All common musculoskeletal conditions such as back pain have a massive impact on patients, the
workplace and the NHS. They account for 18-30% of all GP appointments and cost the NHS £5 billion every year. 80% of patients are over treated as they will get better with good self-management
getUBetter is an evidence based, CE marked, digital self-management platform for all common
musculoskeletal injuries and conditions. It provides true-self management support so patients trust
their recovery and are only re-directed to other services when absolutely necessary. It means CCGs can provide a digital first approach for their whole MSK pathways avoiding silos of care and preventing over treatment. Each element of the pathway is configured to the local CCG and delivered to their
population and patients are supported through their recovery day-by-day.
- An independent NICE DHT framework assessment identified getUBetter as Tier 3a supporting self-management and preventative behaviour change.
- An independent health economic evaluation shows a potential saving for a CCG of £1.96 million per year for back pain alone, which is backed up by real world evidence of a 13% reduction
in GP follow up and 20% reduction in physiotherapy referrals from use by over 3,000 patients.
- getUBetter is currently available in the UK NHS and occupational health organisations.
- Evidence shows a 13% reduction in GP follow up, a 50% reduction in prescribed medication
and a 20% reduction in Physiotherapy referrals and is being used by over 10,000 patients.
- getUBetter was nationally recognised as a NHSx digital playbook NHSx Playbook.
- Adopted in 150 GP practices, Urgent care system and across whole Physiotherapy services.
- Now being piloted in care homes
- Over 10,000 patients benefiting
"We see the ever-expanding app as a major part of our service redesign going forward."
Jim Fenwick, CEO Battersea Healthcare